Pregnancy – Natural Remedies for common pregnancy complaints
“What can I do to relieve or prevent pregnancy symptoms like nausea and vomiting, heartburn, leg cramps, and haemorrhoids?”
Pregnancy is a very special and unique time in a woman’s life. Her body is changing to accommodate the new life she is nurturing and those changes sometimes cause unwanted side effects. Some common symptoms of pregnancy are nausea, vomiting, heartburn, leg cramps and haemorrhoids. These common symptoms can be combated naturally using the methods detailed within.
The nausea and vomiting that occurs during a woman’s pregnancy is often referred to as ‘morning sickness’ even though it can occur during anytime of day. The most common methods to naturally control the feeling of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy are simple and are easy to implement.
The following natural solutions can help ease the feeling of nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy:
– Drinking Ginger Tea with optional lemon rinds
– Drinking water often with optional lemon slices
– Eating small snacks often during the day
– Avoid smells, foods or places that trigger the gag reflex
Heartburn is an uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptom of pregnancy caused by the baby growing in the mother’s abdomen and pushing the stomach closer to the esophagus. As the baby grows the mother’s body accommodates and unfortunately heartburn can be a result. Here are some natural remedies that can help relieve heartburn so mom can rest comfortably.
– Ginger Tea with lemon
– Drinking water with lemon slices
– Drinking more water throughout the day.
– Drinking milk or eating yogurt
Cramping during pregnancy is fairly common. The involuntary spasms of muscles in the back, legs and abdomen occurs in up to 50% of all pregnancies. A combination of the following natural treatments can safely relieve cramped muscles. These are especially effective for leg cramps and back cramps.
– A warm bath with Epsom Salt
– Massages to affected area
– Applying heat from a heating pad or hot water bottle
– Applying ice or cold pack.
Haemorrhoids can occur during pregnancy and cause the expectant mother a great amount of discomfort. While there are over the counter haemorrhoid medications available you may wish to try a more natural option. The following natural remedies may assist in getting some relief from pregnancy haemorrhoids.
– Avoid sitting for long periods of time
– Try to stay standing up or lying on their side.
– Avoid constipation by drinking plenty of fluids like water and eating a healthy diet.
– Witch Hazel patches applied directly to the affected area and changed recently may provide relief.
– Soaking in an untreated plain bath with warm water.
In conclusion, nausea, vomiting, muscle cramping and haemorrhoids are fairly common symptoms of pregnancy that can be relieved through natural methods. It is best to consult with your doctor to discuss treatment options prior to beginning any treatments. If after trying the natural remedies and you are not seeing any relief you should contact your doctor right away.
The above information does not take the place of a medical consultation and is intended for informational purposes only. Please seek further advice if your symptoms continue or worsen.
Categorised in: Obstetrics
This post was written by Dr Anu Kaur